Saturday, July 09, 2011
Printing a Mendel derivative
After talking with my son recently, I concluded that he needs to start printing a lot faster than I'm going to have Sampo debugged and duplicated. I have a lot of 8 mm linear shafting and linear bearings in stock, so I decided to build him a Mendel derivative using Sampo firmware and controllers. That should get him printing a lot faster than would otherwise be the case.
I started printing parts for a Prusa Mendel yesterday. So far, so good. Got the gantries finished and am printing the rest of the parts now.
5/16th inch threaded rod is pretty much a one on one replacement for M8, #8 machine screws replace M4s and #4 machine screws replace M3s. I couldn't see much point in printing the SAE Mendel. I'm going to have to redesign the extruder carriage to seat linear bearings instead of those strange PLA things it ordinarily uses.